Monday, December 13, 2010

Lola

There's one thing that people notice about me almost right away - whether it's in Canada, the U.S. or here in Ohtawara-shi, Tochigi-ken, Japan.

I love my Coca-Cola. I've been called the Coca-Cola kid because of my appetite for the liquid manna. I love the taste of it, and the refreshing aspect of it. My dream job back when I was 8, was to own a Coca-Cola bottling plant. Really.

I still get a perverse thrill when I see a Coca-Cola delivery truck pass me by.

It's funny... but the first thing I did on my own after moving into my apartment in Ohtawara-shi, was to slip downstairs into the alcohol/convenience store located two floors below my third-floor apartment. I picked up a two-litre bottle of Coca-Cola

I'm proud to state that even though I was living in a new country on a new continent, the Coca-Cola tasted exactly the same as it does back in Toronto. I've had Coca-Cola across the U.S., and I know it tastes different from locality to locality, and is certainly a lot different from what I get in Toronto. 

The folks at Coca-Cola might swear that's not true, but I have a very good tongue when it comes to discerning differences in my beverage of choice.

I've mentioned it before, but I can tell the difference between every type of Coke, Pepsi or other type of cola product.

The Japanese noticed that. I swear this is true. My co-workers at the OBOE (Ohtawara Board of Education) office set up 12 different types of cola drinks in front of me one day. They dared me to figure out what was what. 

Tricky buggers that they are, four of the drinks were the same... and I actually put them to the side while I correctly guessed the rest. Those four drinks were all Coca-Cola - the original - and it took me 20 seconds to realize they were trying to trick me by having the same drink out there.

Needless to say, I won, and had four glasses of Coke. My fame was already spreading like a communicable disease at an orgy. 

Somewhere having a Coke and a smile,
Andrew Joseph  
Today's title is by The Kinks: COLA
PS: The photo of me above was taken on December 10, 2010 when I was lucky enough to visit a Coca-Cola bottling plant in Brampton, Ontario, just northwest of Toronto. No... despite a ton of butt kissing, they did not load the pallets of Coke into my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...