Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Want to know one of my weirdest moments in Japan? The one that first kind of nailed home the whole culture shock thing?
It was 1991 and I was 26-years-old. I had been living quite comfortably in Japan for maybe nine months or more, and was feeling quite acclimatized. I was learning the language and generally feeling quite good with the whole living from out of my parent's shadow.
And then, my younger brother Ben - who was 18 at the time - sent me some taped music of some groups I'd never heard of before... Nirvana and Soundgarden.
The sound was totally awesome. It was power rock and roll of the likes I hadn't heard since the 1960s died... I mean Led Zeppelin is great - but it wasn't garage power rock.
I listened the tapes over and over again - thrashing my hair and banging my head.
And then it hit me.
I'm doing the headbanger's ball thing thrashing my head forwards and back while jumping up and down on my bed... and my bed had no bounce. I was jumping up and down on a futon.
A futon.
I definitely wasn't in Canada. I was in Japan.
It didn't feel like nirvana.

Somewhere my neck hurts from all the thrashing of my neck around,
Andrew Joseph
Today's title is mumbled to us by Nirvana: NEVERMIND
PS: There were more than a few instances where I suddenly realized I wasn't in Canada. The weird stuff that happened and I've so-far recorded for you in these blogs, is just everyday cultural differences. More to come eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...