Thursday, December 9, 2010

Suffragette City

The following is an excerpt from a letter I sent to my friend Rob back in Toronto in June of 1993.

I wanted to tell you about my day at the OBOE (Ohtawara Board of Education) office.

For seven hours, a van has been sitting outside the offices blasting a loudspeaker informing this half of the hemisphere that there will be female professional wrestling today at the auditorium across the street.

The loudspeaker is a looping tape that has a female voice that sounds like a Japanese version of Aunt Bea from the old Andy Griffith television show, warbling on about how there will be plenty of blood and sexy women in spandex.

I suppose it's a related statement, as it could be that time of the month for some of the women.

And isn't that just what we all want to see? Women with arms bigger than my already muscular thighs, with their menstrual cycle in full pedal?

In the background of of this woman's warbling, one can hear the the unmistakable sounds of bodies being slammed to the ring's surface, and the taped crowd cheering it all on.

Oh! Everybody just got up to look out the window. Apparently there are some cattle being led into the auditorium. Or were they wrestlers? Whatever... they are absolutely humongous.

It seems that every few months or so, a small wrestling promotion comes through town. Usually it's guys.

I did get to go to one last time they were here. One of my students from Nozaki Chu Gakko (Nozaki Junior High School) gave me a ticket. It's Matsuo, the special student who calls me once a week at my place. He can't speak English. He's mentally challenged but he is in the regular classes at Nozaki. He's the one I first thought was an old Japanese woman when I had no idea who he was for the first three months here in Ohtawara-shi, Tochigi-ken, Japan.

We had a great time - and it's the first and only time I've ever taken up an offer from a junior high school student to do anything. I had a great time, and while a part of me wishes I had done more things like this, but I'm sure it would have gotten completely out of hand, and I would have had absolutely no free time to myself, and probably would have gone even more nuts than I usually am.

Somewhere one-two-three!
Andrew Joseph
Today's blog title is by David Bowie. You can hear it here: WHAMBAMTHANKYOU MAAM.
PS: Matsuo took the photos. Check out the photo below: Barbed wire ropes! Nasty! I hope the women didn't have these type of things at their show! But the promoter did promise blood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...