Friday, August 5, 2011

Anniversary of Hiroshima Bombing


Today, August 6, 2011 marks the 66th anniversary of the USA's bombing of Hiroshima, Japan.



I was going to write about this...



Long before I went to Japan, I found a book owned by my parents on Nazi Germany. I was five-years-old. It had photos of the ovens that burned the Jews in at the death camps. Call it a morbid fascination, but I had never heard of World War II... and wasn't even aware of World War I.



Nosing around the bookshelves of the local Woolco ( a version of Woolworth's, I suppose), I found a Who What When book on World War II... a stunning orange cover (flames) of a naval attack on a USA frigate by a Japanese Zero. By the way... you know Mitsubishi made the engines for that plane.



Anyhow... as a five-year old I was fascinated by WWII, and always secretly wanted to be a soldier. As I grew older, my eyes grew weaker, and there was no way I was ever getting in.



Regardless... that book also introduced me the the horrors of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.



My friend Mike in Tokyo has written a piece on today's infamous anniversary. In it he questions the reasons WHY the USA dropped an atomic bomb over the city of Hiroshima; a city that wasn't a military target.



Read the article at MARKETING JAPAN.



Mike can be a bit harsh in his criticisms, but he does back up his points. The key thing to remember was that Japan was already on the ropes... why use a nuclear weapon... the US said it was to end the war quicker... that Japan would still have dragged it out longer and that American lives would have been lost. Okay. Let's suppose that is correct... then what about the second bomb? It saved more American lives. Yes. But was it really necessary?



Mike's article is food for thought. Thanks Mike.



And for the rest of us... pray to whatever god or deity you like that the world never sees the like of a nuclear blast against humanity again.



Andrew Joseph 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...