Thursday, August 25, 2011

Du Hast


It's raining in Sendai... so what else is new? It rains whenever I travel in Japan. It's why they (Nihonjin/Japanese & gaijin/foreigners) call me and curse me with the name ame otoko (rain man).



It's Friday, October 11, 1991 and I've traveled to Sendai with my ex-girlfriend Ashley. Already it sounds like a recipe for disaster.



While she and I are not dating, we are still sleeping together. It is actually cool. I get sex and no longer pay for everything for her.



I'm a junior high school assistant English teacher (AET) on the JET (Japan Exchange & Teaching) Programme living in Ohtawara-shi, Tochigi-ken, Japan for the past 15 months. Despite the length of time being equal to Ashley's I speak less Japanese (I think) and sure as hell don't know my way around as well... Ashley planned this trip (inviting me at the last minute to perhaps make a couple of other female AETs jealous (I slept with one and the other wants to date me).



Whatever.



We get up at 10AM and try to keep the maid out of our hair while I shower, and she goes to the bank - as she left yesterday without any money, and I had to pay for everything. Now today, Ashley is paying me back - a first, folks! A first! Let the bells ring, let the people shout!



While Ashley pays for another night, I relax in the room. She seems to have woken up with even more of those lumps/bumps on her head that first appeared yesterday evening. Lymph nodes, maybe? They are painful to the touch. Very weird. She says they are painful. She doesn't want to go home or go to a doctor, however.



We walk outside into the rain and head to the bus station to catch a bus to some temple that is supposed to be a national treasure. I have no freaking idea what it's called or even where I am going. I'm just along for the ride.



We shoot some photos and chat and generally have a really good time - a rarity, let me tell you, as we always seemed to be pissed off at each other when we were dating.



We then go shopping for knick-knacks. Ashley buys me a lot of stuff like good luck charms and stuff (long since lost in a fire that ripped through my house three years ago). We have a pizza for lunch and then go catch a movie - Hudson Hawk. Just so you know, my five-year-old son is named Hudson. I always thought it was a cool name, but I named my son after the Hudson's Bay Company... basically a fur trapping company that essentially help found Canada.



When we get back to the hotel we smooch a little - but then she suddenly pushes me away and it really hurts my neck from the shock - for about 10 minutes.



Pissed off, I leave her alone and head out into the night to a variety store for some beer. But it's closed at 7:30PM - on a Friday night?!



When I come back 20 minutes later, she's trying to sleep and is confused by my leaving. To pretend I'm no longer pissed off, I suggest we go to Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) for dinner. I want two large pieces, but instead, they give me two boxes of three large pieces. Whatever. I can eat it. I just wish the Japanese could understand my grade 1 Japanese or Ashley's Grade 3 Japanese.



Back at the hotel we try to sleep together, but it's obvious we are going to sweat to death first, so we go back to our separate beds and sleep.



Somewhere wondering what I am doing here,

Andrew Joseph

Today's blog title is by Rammstein: YOUHATEME.

The English lyrics are HERE.

PS: A brief blog in 8 hours after the publication of this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...